Corporate Chef USA Market – MSC Cruises
Corporate Chef USA Market
Reports to: F&B Dept.
Head Department: F&B Department
Directly responsible for creating culinary product and standards while overseeing culinary operations on board MSC vessels, ensures that the best dining practices are implemented on board and that Company food targets are achieved.
The F&B Product & Project Department includes several units where the yearly product and strategy is designed, coordinated with other areas of the business, communicated to the personnel on board for execution and verified by P&P Managers and Inspectors. The main units are the following:
- Food (Corporate Chefs and P&P Managers)
- Beverage (P&P Managers)
- Dining Services
- Corporate F&B
- F&B Procurement
The key management objectives are:
- Product delivery
- Passengers satisfaction
- Budget control
- Enhance overall on board revenue
- In line with Corporate guidelines proactively researches, develops and implements innovative food ideas/concepts and redesigns menus, improving food experience on board MSC vessels.
- Together with the Fleet Corporate Chef creates and defines menus, recipes and food rotation offering a tailored offer, based on itinerary and taste of the different types of passengers on board.
- Checks menus are cost effective and are of high standards in quality and presentation.
- Standardize production recipes to ensure consistent quality and creates cooking and preparation procedures.
- Suggests menu changes, equipment and ingredients that are necessary and handles special menu requests.
- Proactively keeps up to date with foodservice trends in preparation and presentation and uses that knowledge to exceed guests’ expectations.
- Manages and implements ad hoc projects.
- Verifies food costs and monitors guests satisfaction providing feedback to the F&B Department.
- Analyses food/thematic restaurants revenue results and suggests actions to improve quality and profits.
- Monitors guests satisfaction through comment forms to identify key issues and proposes corrective actions to the P&P Director and Fleet Corp. Chef.
- Implements food product and verifies product/food cost consistency by conducting on board visits and inspections (checks portions, food items used in preparation and appearance/taste of food) and proving feedback to the P&P Director and Fleet Corp. Chef.
- Liaises with other area of the business to align common actions and goals in order to provide an excellence of service to our customers and to achieve food targets.
- Working with Procurement dpt. estimates food consumption and requisitions of food purchase.
- Along with Corporate F&B supervises food operations on board to ensure the achievement of established quality and cost standards.
- Participates in the training and development of on board staff and provides performance appraisals: manages crew performance through training or corrective action as required.
- Supports kitchen staff on board and makes sure they are properly trained on quality and service standards and have the product knowledge needed to carry out their job function.
- Shares with the Procurement Dpt. strategies and feedback to improve service.
Job-Requirements: skills, competencies, experience
- Culinary Education.
- A minimum of five years’ experience required in a full service/high volume/ fine dining food operation as Executive Chef, with USA guests.
- Understanding of Restaurant, Bar/Lounge, Room Service, Banquet and Catering operational procedures.
- Certificate or diploma in Food safety or HACCP and extensive knowledge of food handling.
- Knowledge of overall operations as they affect kitchen and related areas.
- Strongly demonstrated creativity in all areas relating to food.
- Computer literate with MS Office applications.
- Ability to communicate clearly with managers, kitchen and dining personnel.
- Good inter-personal and communication skills.
- Experience in managing F&B personnel.
- Fluent English. Second language required.