Department: Culinary Sub-Department: Pastry
Reports To: Pastry Chef, Executive Pastry Chef, Executive Sous Chef, Executive Chef, Senior Executive Chef
Direct Reports: Asst. Chef De Partie Pastry, Asst. Pastry, Head Baker, Baker, Asst. Baker
The primary responsibility of the Chef de Partie Pastry is to assist the Pastry Chef and Pastry Sous Chef to effectively supervise and manage the onboard Pastry Production.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure that Quality Standards and Procedures are in line with company Rules and Regulations.
- Ensure that pastry personnel is guided and trained to increase productivity.
- Manage and run a section with the assistance of the Sous Chef Pastry, and with minimum supervision required from the Pastry Chef.
- Maintain a disciplined shift, with full in control of both the production and the personnel assigned.
- Ensure that menus, recipes, guidelines, and methods provided by the Pastry Chef are followed accordingly.
- Maintain a safe and clean work environment by complying with USPH and Company Regulations.
- Able to work in any section of the Pastry Department and demonstrate methods and recipes to subordinates.
- Produce and maintain the expected level of food quality in assigned area and according to instructions from the Pastry Chef.
- Analyze recipes constantly for any possible improvements.
- Submit daily food requisition to the Pastry Chef.
- Countercheck daily deliveries from the Storeroom for accuracy
- Report discrepancies to immediate supervisor if deliveries are incorrect or not completed.
- Ensure that recipe reviews are conducted, corrected if needed, and communicated to the Pastry Chef.
- Possess knowledge of established quality standards and company policies.
- Maintain quality and consistency in taste, presentation and appearance according to recipes and pictures.
- Rectify discrepancies immediately.
- Communicate any relevant provision issues to the Pastry Chef daily.
- Maintain and ensure that Public Health regulations (US, Anvisa, Shipsan, Canadian, Australian, etc.) are followed at all times on board.
- Ensure immaculate cleanliness in the Pastry Department and adjacent areas.
- Apply safe work practices and procedures according to PH Regulations.
- Prevent any equipment damage/loss.
- Control and maintain all Pastry equipment distributed to staff, ensuring that it is cleaned and/or sanitized and returned in an acceptable condition after each use.
- Monitor the cleaning, handling and storage of all Pastry equipment.
- Justify, record, and report any damages and/or malfunctions.
- Ensure that the pastry/adjacent areas are ready for announced or unannounced inspection, performed by Ship Management or local authorities.
- Ensure that the HACCP program is applied accordingly.
- Possess thorough understanding of how TAR operates.
Training & Development:
- Attend all meetings, training activities or classes related to assigned position as required.
- Ensure that all food crewmembers follow the rules and regulations of the ship.
- Monitor the training and familiarization of new food crewmembers to their new job and living environment.
- Develop and conduct training for personnel in their area of responsibility according to standard operating procedures.
- Ensure the recipe-training program is conducted as required.
- Maintain cost control within department/team.
- Ensure economical work procedures.
- Conduct workstation spot checks to ensure items are correctly cleaned and stored minimize deterioration and waste.
- Conduct workstation spot checks to ensure food items are correctly used according to recipe.
- Control food production to minimize/avoid waste.
- Ensure that all safety procedures are followed.
- Cooperate with the Staff Captain in adhering to the Ship’s Safety Program.
- Follow the Ship Rules & Regulations.
- Maintain a safe and sanitary environment for all guests and crew members.
- Follow proper procedures and instructions at all times to prevent damage of any kind to ship or company property.
- Participate in safety drills as required.
- Mentor, develop and provide on-the-job training to subordinates to strengthen current performance and prepare for future advancement.
- Control and maintain working hours of all supervised personnel.
- Possess knowledge of the Human Resources Manual and Shipboard Training.
- Maintain a high level of crew morale within the administration dept. ensuring that all crew are treated in a fair and unbiased manner and the team works with a positive atmosphere.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Attend early stand-by for any inspection.
- Work late hours occasionally for specific events.
- Assist the Procurement team with storing operations and quality control.
- Ensure confidentiality when handling sensitive information.
- Achieve the primary objectives of the position and comply with the above-mentioned accountabilities in a timely and efficient manner in accordance with ICS policies.
- Project a favorable image of the company, promote its aims and objectives, and foster and enhance public recognition and acceptance of all its areas and endeavors.
- Comply with the safety and pollution prevention regulations and operating procedures at all times, participating in all relevant meetings and training sessions.
- Participate in all mandatory training without excuse.
- To efficiently perform all other duties as requested by shipboard management or shore side.
Knowledge, experience, skill, and/or ability
- Advanced Pastry Skills.
- Minimum of 8 years in the profession in a luxury hospitality establishment or upscale cruise line.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Communicate effectively with the senior management.
- Possess ability to lead and make decisions.
- Good administrative skills.
- Experienced in coaching subordinates.
- Must be cost and quality conscious.
- Adhere to specific scheduled work hours, yet be flexible if circumstances require it.
- Work with international team members.
- Perform assigned duties under pressure (time constraints).
- Fluency in additional language(s)
- Cruise Ship Experience.
- Required computer skills
- Knowledge of Microsoft programs to include but not limited to, Outlook, Word, Excel, and Power Point
- Possess sufficient computer knowledge to use the company software.
- Familiarly with relational database driven inventory control systems.
- High School education or international equivalent.
- Pastry School degree.
- Food Hygiene Certification.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of general office practices, procedures and equipment.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work independently.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to interact with senior-level management and owner representatives.
- Able to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Work Environment & Physical Demands:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions for this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to: Stand; Use hands to finger, handle, or feel; Reach with hands and arms; Talk or hear and smell
- The employee must be able to lift or move up to 55 pounds (25 kilograms) without assistance.
- Ability to adjust focus, depth perception, peripheral vision, distance vision and close vision and to be able to otherwise perform the essential functions of the job in a manner that does not present danger to the employee or others with or without a reasonable accommodation.