The 2nd Bosun is responsible for the day to day cleanliness of areas that the deckdepartment is responsible to maintain. He is primarily responsible for the activities ofthe washing team/gang and shall ensure all deck cleaning schedules and inspectionsare completed. The 2nd Bosun is the Bosun’s deputy and is a senior and experiencedAble Seaman (AB) who possesses the strong leadership skills, initiative and motivation.
The 2nd Bosun is also responsible to participate in mooring/anchoring operations asdirected by the Bosun. He is typically in charge of the deck crew on the forward or aftmooring/anchoring station.
As the Bosun’s deputy, the 2nd Bosun is expected to be a team leader, a problemsolver, motivator, and educator while at all times ensuring the safety of his team,guests and crew. The 2nd Bosun is also responsible to assist the Bosun in any of theday to day operations on deck.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
List the 8-10 key areas of responsibility in descending order, with the responsibility requiring the most amount oftime first. Use specific action verbs such as “manages”, “analyzes”, “files”, etc.–Do not include SOP or bestpractices.
1. LEADERSHIP OF WASHING TEAM/GANG
2. LEADERSHIP OF DECK CREW WHILE AT MOORING/ANCHORINGSTATIONS
3. ASSIST BOSUN WITH ALL DECK MAINTENANCE AND CLEANINGRESPONSIBILITIES
4. CONDUCT INSPECTIONS FOR AREA CLEANLINESS IN ALL AREASOF DECK RESPONSIBILITY
5. MAKE WASHING AND CLEANING SCHEDULE FOR DECK CREWAND WASHING TEAM
Performs other duties as required. This job description in no way states orimplies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employeeoccupying this position. Employees will be required to perform other job-related duties assigned by their supervisor or management.
(If applicable)List any responsibilities for budget, expenses and/or achievement of revenue targets in US Dollars.
List the minimum level of education and experience required to perform the work at the entry level of the job.
- must be an ab
- basic safety training and lifeboat certificate
Knowledge and Skills:
List the specific knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to perform this job related to the Essential Duties and Responsibilities identified above. Specific language requirements as well as cognitive requirements that are essentialpartsof the job (attention to detail, hearing, etc.), should be described clearly and precisely.
- must have superior seamanship skill and knowledge
- must have good spoken and written English skills
- must have good leadership and managerial skills
- must work well on his/her own without supervision
- must be able to give orders and guidance to subordinate seamen
- must be able to communicate well with officers, superiors, and otherdepartments
- must have excellent knowledge of shipboard emergencyorganization/procedures as they pertain to the deck department
- possess a good level of knowledge with respect to dealing with guests,resolving guest complaints, and the The Royal Way
- must have good motivation and initiative
- must work well in a team
List the Specific physical requirements necessary to perform this job related to the Essential Duties andResponsibilities. Specific physical requirements that are essential parts of the job (lifting, standing for extendedperiods of time, hearing, carrying, moving, pushing/pulling, climbing, etc.), should be described clearly andprecisely; detailing frequency and amounts.
- LIFTING UP TO 50 LBS
- PUSHING/PULLING BOXES CARTS/TROLLEYS/HOSES ANDEQUIPMENT
- WORKING ALOFT AND IN DIFFICULT AND RISKY AREAS
- CONFINED SPACE WORK
- WORKING IN DIFFICULT TO REACH AND SLIPPERY AREAS
- HANDLING OF HAZARDOUS MATERIALS SUCH AS CLEANINGCHEMICALS, PAINTS, SOLVENTS ETC.
All shipboard employees must be physically able to participate in emergency lifesaving procedures and drills. Full use and range of arms and legs as well as fullvisual, verbal and hearing abilities are required to receive and give instructions in theevent of an emergency including the lowering of lifeboats. Therefore, the ability to liftand/or move up to 50 pounds is necessary.