The primary responsibility of the Baker is to assist the Head Baker in effectively supervising and managing the onboard Bakery Production.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure that Quality Standards and Procedures are in line with company Rules and Regulations.
- Ensure that bakery personnel is guided and trained to increase productivity.
- Manage the preparation of bakery items that require good professional bakery skills, with the help of the Head Baker.
- Responsible for the production of bakery goods such as different bread rolls, Danish, breads, croissant, etc.
- Possess good knowledge of the Bakery and an understanding of culinary terms.
- Possess knowledge of the various types of grains and flour, gluten free bread options, and food -related allergies.
- Maintain a disciplined shift and in control of both the production and personnel assigned.
- Read, understand, follow and prepare company recipes.
- Ensure that menus, recipes, guidelines & methods provided are followed.
- Able to work in any section of the Bakery Department and demonstrate methods and recipes to subordinates.
- Complete tasks efficiently.
- Maintain and ensure that Public Health regulations (US, Anvisa, Shipsan, Canadian, Australian, etc.) are followed at all times on board.
- Produce and maintain the expected level of food quality in assigned area and according to instructions from the Head Baker.
- Maintain quality and consistency in taste, presentation and appearance, according to recipes and pictures.
- Rectify any discrepancies immediately.
- Produce and maintain the expected level of food quality in area of responsibility.
- Master bread decorations for the various buffet themes and special occasions as required by the operation.
- Prepare the daily electronic requisitions according to the guest count and forecast figures.
- Communicate to the Head Baker and Pastry Chef, any relevant provision issues on a daily basis.
- Possess knowledge of the United States Public Health rules and regulations, and ensure that they are followed on a daily basis.
- Conduct spot-checks and any type of inspections (SMS, PH) as necessary.
- Control and maintain all Bakery equipment distributed to staff, ensuring that it is cleaned and/or sanitized and returned in an acceptable condition after each use.
- Monitor the cleaning, handling and storage of all Bakery equipment.
- Justify, record, and report any damages and/or malfunctions.
- Report for duty at assigned times.
- Follows supervisor instructions.
Training & Development:
- Attend all meetings, training activities or classes related to assigned position as required.
- Mentor, develop and provide on-the-job training to subordinates to strengthen current performance and in preparation for future advancement.
- Ensure that all food crewmembers follow the rules and regulations of the ship.
- Monitor the training and familiarization of new food crewmembers to their new job and living environment.
- Develop and conduct training for personnel in their area of responsibility according to standard operating procedures.
- Ensure the recipe-training program is conducted as required, corrected if needed, and communicated to the Head Baker.
- Ensure economical work procedures.
- Control food production to minimize/avoid waste.
- Assist the Head Baker to monitor the bakery personnel work hours.
- Maintain TAR, and if applicable, correct TAR entries for payroll purposes.
- Ensure that all safety procedures are followed.
- Cooperate with the Staff Captain in adhering to the Ship’s Safety Program.
- Follow the Ship Rules & Regulations.
- Maintain a safe and sanitary environment for all guests and crew members.
- Follow proper procedures and instructions at all times to prevent damage of any kind to ship or company property.
- Participate in safety drills as required.
- Maintain a high level of crew morale within the administration dept. ensuring that all crew are treated in a fair and unbiased manner and the team works with a positive atmosphere.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise activities such as afternoon tea, pool parties, cocktail parties, or special functions where the Bakery Department is involved.
- Attend early stand-by for any inspection.
- Ensure confidentiality when handling sensitive information.
- Achieve the primary objectives of the position and comply with the above-mentioned accountabilities in a timely and efficient manner in accordance with ICS policies.
- Project a favorable image of the company, promote its aims and objectives, and foster and enhance public recognition and acceptance of all its areas and endeavors.
- Comply with the safety and pollution prevention regulations and operating procedures at all times, participating in all relevant meetings and training sessions.
- Participate in all mandatory training without excuse.
- Perform all other duties as requested by shipboard management or shore side.
Knowledge, experience, skill, and/or ability
- Advanced Bakery Skills.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in the field, in a luxury hospitality establishment or upscale cruise line.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Communicate effectively with the senior management.
- Possess ability to lead and make decisions.
- Good administrative skills.
- Experienced in coaching subordinates.
- Must be cost and quality conscious.
- Adhere to specific scheduled work hours, yet be flexible if circumstances require it.
- Work with international team members.
- Perform assigned duties under pressure (time constraints).
- Fluency in additional language(s)
- Cruise Ship Experience.
Required computer skills:
- Knowledge of Microsoft programs to include but not limited to, Outlook, Word, Excel, and Power Point
- Possess sufficient computer knowledge to use the company software.
- Familiarly with relational database driven inventory control systems.
- High School education or international equivalent.
- Bakery School degree.
- Food Hygiene Certification.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of general office practices, procedures and equipment.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work independently.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to interact with senior-level management and owner representatives.
- Able to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Work Environment & Physical Demands:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions for this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to: Stand; Use hands to finger, handle, or feel; Reach with hands and arms; Talk or hear and smell
- The employee must be able to lift or move up to 55 pounds (25 kilograms) without assistance.
- Ability to adjust focus, depth perception, peripheral vision, distance vision and close vision and to be able to otherwise perform the essential functions of the job in a manner that does not present danger to the employee or others with or without a reasonable accommodation.