Executive Sous Chef
We’re on an exciting journey to create one of the most irresistible travel brands in the world and are building an epic team to help make our ambition a reality. We are on the hunt for a super talented ‘someone’ who enjoys training & developing fellow crew members in the kitchen! Are Sous the special someone we’ve been searching for? If you are, keep reading!
There’s never too many Executive Sous Chefs in the kitchen! Our culinary experience is a unique offering and we need someone who’s got the chops to manage the chops.
In other words, this ‘someone’ needs to know how to Make Ship Happen. Your excellent attention to detail and self-starter mentality means you can think quick on your feet and keep calm when ship gets real. Ultimately, we won’t be able to remember how we got by without you.
What You’ll be Up To:
- Responsible for the day to day operations of the culinary team, assisting the Snr. Executive Chef with food planning, preparation and quality control
- Monitors quality and cost of food production ensuring set budgets are achieved and maintained
- Communicates with the Snr. Executive Chef on a daily basis to review menus, Sailor comments and complaints to make revisions and improvements
- Manages the financial aspects of the assigned food operation and delivers a weekly report to the Snr. Executive Chef
- Assists the Snr. Executive Chef in organizing, planning and coordinating any Guest Chef events before and throughout sailing
- Establishes and develops a highly motivated, pro-active culinary team that delivers the highest quality-orientated service product delivering a cost-effective and ethical operation
- Liaises with the Food & Beverage Storekeeper, Executive Pastry Chef, Snr. Executive Chef and Executive Chefs regarding availability, specifications, standard items lists and delivery logistics, as well as shipboard inventory levels, stock rotation
- Completes daily walkthroughs of all culinary operations including provisions with Snr. Executive Chef, Executive Pastry Chef and each Executive Chef
- Ensure that all culinary areas are maintained in accordance with company policy, USPH, SMS, HACCP and safety and environmental regulations
- Assists with developing and maintaining par stocks for food product and equipment
- Monitors that the culinary team adheres to the opening/closing times of each venue
- Assists and works with the Corporate Chefs in Menu implementation and delivery
- Carries out training, coaching and mentoring of the culinary team and ensures deputies follow suit
- Responsible for the appearance and cleanliness of all culinary team members
- Monitors and ensures with the Snr. Executive Chef the correct storage and cold storage of all products according to company standards
- Informs the Snr. Executive Chef of all relevant issues regarding the culinary operation requesting the appropriate support
- Monitors with the Snr. Executive Chef the Crew Dining area and follows up to review overall crew food experience
- Ensures that any Sailor requests for special food, diets or allergies are adhered to
- Reports to technical department any defects or repairs that affect the daily operation in the galley and that potentially violates USPH and/or SMS requirements and monitors repair schedule
- With the Snr. Executive Chef, conducts regular spot-checks and inspections of USPH and other Public Health requirements
- Reviews culinary crew rotas with the Snr. Executive Chef ensuring that each outlet has the required manpower to deliver a high-quality service
- Monitors all food requisitions to avoid overstocking in the galley storage spaces and unnecessary wastage
- Monitors food wastage to ensure costs are kept to a minimum
- Monitors ILO Work & amp; Rest hours are followed and entered into the time keeping system accurately
- Monitors that all outlets are following the portion control charts
- Responsible for the general cleanliness of all galley outlets in conjunction with the Sanitation Officer and Kitchen Steward
Super Powers Required:
- Minimum 5 years’ experience as Executive Sous Chef onboard a Cruise ship or 4/5* hotel/resort
- Excellent organizational skills and able to juggle several operations in one go
- Demonstrated experience in motivating, leading and engaging a diverse workforce to increase synergy and improve productivity
- Passionate about people and able to handle guest complaints with a smile!
- All certificates as required by the STCW code for this position
- Excellent understanding of food specifications, including but not limited to USDA meat and standards and grading
- Knowledge of Vessel Sanitation Program regulations and procedures
- Experience of budgeting and cost control, working with inventory and food cost reports, and monthly financial statements
- Strong written & verbal skills
What Matters to Us
At Virgin, your personality matters as much as how good you are at what you do. We want you to bring it to our hang out spot and help make the place even better. So, we won’t be surprised to hear that when people talk about you they say you are clever, on top of it, able to think ahead, intuitive, passionate and someone people respect and enjoy working with because you make things happen.
The information contained herein is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the job, nor are they intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Management may, at its discretion, assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.” The duties and responsibilities in this job description may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.