This position is responsible for deterring and/or effectively responding to shipboardincidents involving violations of the Guest Conduct Policy or other shipboard incidentsas required by the Master.Reporting to the Security Officer(or equivalent position onCelebrity ships),the GSS will provide a highly visible security presence,that enhancesthe overall guest vacation experience by reducing the frequency and/or severity ofincidents. Is an active member of the ship’s crew,participating in training opportunitiesto elevate their level of awareness,ability and willingness to contribute to the securityof the ship.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
All duties and responsibilities are to be performed in accordance with Royal Caribbeanand Celebrity brand standards,SQM standards,USPH and HACCP guidelines,environmental, and safety policies.Patrol public spaces,observe and provide assistance and guidance to guests,quicklydefuse issues and conflicts involving guests,or guests and crew,maintain a high levelof visibility and provide the required presence to deter and prevent escalation ofincidents.Carry out duties in a manner that provides reassurance and creates a“secure atmosphere” for guests.Enforce the Guest Conduct Policy and actively assistship’s management in conflict resolution.Respond and preserve evidence at anincident“scene,” interview and prepare reports for incidents.Assist in crowdmanagement,as needed,as well as train relevant departments in security techniques,crowd management and conflict resolution.
1.Establishes the visibility of shipboard security through patrolling indoor and outdoorareas,interacting with guests to ensure their security and compliance withreasonable standards of conduct.Responds promptly and effectively to calls forassistance.
Printed copies are uncontrolled, and must be identical to the electronic version.
2.Evaluates situations quickly to determine the appropriate security response andtakes decisive action to address incidents,consistent with policy.Principally relieson effective communication and conflict resolution skills,but is able to utilizephysical control and restraint techniques,when necessary,to control escalating ordangerous situations.
3.Works closely with other shipboard components to raise the awareness andimportance of security and to integrate guest security in each department’s dailyactivities.
4.Participates in the resolution of incidents,including conducting interviews,writingreports,assist the Chief/Security Officer to recognizing and preserving evidence,controlling crowds,complementing the experience of Security Officers and StaffCaptains,training,and performing other security-related duties that enhance theguest vacation experience of guests.
5.Familiarization with the screening equipment operation as well as procedures ofthe Gangway operation is required from the GSS although this will not be theirprimary function.In times when a surge in access control security will be required(increase in threat level or other operational need)the GSS team will be a valuableasset to the Security Officers team.
- A high level of English communication skills and experience/training in crowdmanagement and customer relations,principally relying on non-aggressive,non-lethal forms of conflict resolution and crowd control.
- Ability to patrol in a none-routine manner,maintaining a high level of visibility andeffectively dealing with escalating issues When necessary,utilize defensive tacticsand hand-to-hand skills to control or escort hostile persons.Recognize,preserveand properly document evidence.
- Ability to diplomatically or,if necessary,physically deal with guests in tense,adversarial or confrontational situations.
- A level of physical fitness which permits the use of physical control and restrainttechniques if needed.
- A well groomed,physical appearance and demeanor that establishes a presencethat serves as an incident-deterrent as well as a reassurance to guests.
- Knowledge of relevant equipment,processes and strategies to promote effectivesecurity.
- Ability to work effectively with others in a multicultural environment.
- Ability to speak English clearly,distinctly and cordially.Ability to read and writeEnglish and understand and interpret written procedures.
- Ability to speak additional languages such as Spanish,Italian or French may be Printed copies are uncontrolled, and must be identical to the electronic version. 3required for specific geographical itineraries.
While performing the duties of this job,the shipboard employee is regularly required tostand;walk;use hands to touch,handle,or feel;reach with hands and arms;talk orhear;and taste or smell.Specific vision abilities required by this job include closevision,distance vision,color vision,peripheral vision,depth perception,and ability toadjust focus.All shipboard employees must be physically able to participate in emergency life savingprocedures and drills.Full use and range of arms and legs as well as full visual,verbaland hearing abilities are required to receive and give instructions in the event of anemergency including the lowering of lifeboats.Ability to lift and/or move up to50pounds.