Cares for a variety of live plants and flowers throughout the vessel and carries out allduties, administrative and operational as detailed in the shipboard integrated pestmanagement plan, by performing the following duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES ANDRESPONSIBILITIES
All duties and responsibilities are to be performed in accordance with RoyalCaribbean International’s brand standards, SQM standards, USPH guidelines,environmental, and safety policies.In accordance with Royal Caribbean International’s philosophy ofAnchored inExcellence, each employee conducts oneself in a professional and courteous mannerat all times. This consists of physical and verbal interactions with guests or fellowshipboard employeesand/or in the presence of guest contact or crewareas.
1. Examines plants and soil/potting mix to determine moisturelevel and waters each plants according to requirements ofspecies.
2.Sponged plant leaves to apply moisture and remove dust,promoting a healthy, glossy finish.
3. Maintain the ornamental plants as needed.
4. Observes plants in sufficient details to detect insects anddiseases, and should consults plant care books or othersource ofinformation to identify problems and determine remedial action.
5. Selects and applies specified chemical solutions to feed plants,kill insects, maintain healthy appearance treat diseases, by usingaerosols, hose or mist-sprayer.
6. Transplantsplants into larger containers with sufficientregularity as to prevent root binding.
7. Pinches and prunes stems, shoots and leaves to remove deadand diseased leaves, so as to induce growth.
8. Removes diseased and dying plants from display and replaceswith healthy plants.
9. Supervises to correct destruction of diseased plants in theincinerator.
10. Uses shears, trowels, folks and other horticultural tools andequipment as required to facilitate the execution of his/herduties.
11. Maintains records ofplants, documenting location, numbervariety, care and treatment. Produces a weekly or voyage reportdetailing all horticultural activities.
12. Under the direction of theHotel MaintenanceManager,operates the shipboard Integrated Pest Management(IPM) Plan, with regard to the following:
- Maintain the required stock of approvedpesticides and IPM supplies onboard, orderingthrough theHotel Maintenance Managerasrequired.
- Carries our rounds and inspections of all PestMonitoring Stations as per the Inspection Schedule,recording results on the appropriate sheet.
- Replaces and relocates Monitor Stations asrequired and in accordance with the IPM Plan.
- Applies pesticides on a regular basis as demandedby the IPM plan, or as directed on an irregular basis to cope with special circumstances, such as randomlocal infections of pests.
- Keeps all documentation and log sheetsassociated with the IPM Plan, up to date and ingood order. Presents all IPM Plan documentation totheHotel Maintenance Managerforverificationand signature on a weekly basis.
- On boarding/turnaround day ensures that his/herIPM duties take first priority over regularhorticultural duties, with any other nonHotelMaintenancerelated duties being assigned thelowest priority.
13. Attends meetings, training activities, courses and all otherwork-related activities as required.
14. Performs related duties as required. This position descriptionin no way states or implies that these are the only duties to beperformed by the shipboard employee occupying this position.Shipboard employees will be required to perform any other job-related duties assigned by their supervisor or management.
Minimum hiring, language and physical requirements to perform the job.
- Two to three years plant care experience in a 4 or 5 star hotelor other high profile public venue.
- Knowledge of horticulturist requirements of ornamental plantsincluding the use of insecticides, fertilizers and gardening tools.Completion of high school or basic education equivalencypreferred.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with general horticultural oragricultural chemical and pesticides, methods of application andsafety procedures.
- Ability to speakEnglish clearly, distinctly and cordially withguests and coworkers.
- Ability to read and write English in order to understand andinterpret written procedures.This includes the ability to give and receive instructions in written andverbal forms and toeffectively present information and respond to questions from guests,supervisors andco-workers.
- Ability to speak additional languages such as Spanish, Frenchor German preferred.
While performing the duties of this job, the shipboard employee is regularly requiredto stand; walk; use hands to touch, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk orhear; and taste or smell. Specific vision abilities required by this job include closevision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and abilityto adjust focus.
All shipboard employees must be physically able to participate in emergency lifesaving procedures and drills. Full use and range of arms and legs as well as fullvisual, verbal and hearing abilities are required to receive and give instructions in theevent of an emergency including the lowering of lifeboats. Ability to lift and/ormove up to 50 pounds.