Laundry Master Assistant
Laundry Master Assistant
Supervise daily operation of the laundry.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Royal Caribbean International expects each shipboard management team member to relentlessly exemplify the principles of the Anchored in Excellence Credo to all team members. In addition, all duties and responsibilities are to be performed in accordance with Royal Caribbean International’s Gold Anchor standards, SQM standards, USPH guidelines, environmental, and safety policies. Each shipboard employee may be required to perform all functions in various venues and throughout the ship.
In accordance with Royal Caribbean International’s philosophy of Anchored in
Excellence, each employee conducts oneself in a professional and courteous
manner at all times. This consists of physical and verbal interactions with guests or fellow shipboard employees and/or in the presence of guest contact and crew areas.
1. Assistant Laundry Masters are a vital part of the management of the
shipboard laundry facilities. He/she must possess an adequate degree
of technical proficiency; the ability to lead, manage and direct the
crew members working in the laundry, assess methods and
procedures, knowledge of equipment and supplies, and exercise good
judgment on any corrective program.
2. The Assistant Laundry Master is accountable to the Laundry Master
and ultimately the Executive Housekeeper for the day-to-day
supervision of the shipboard laundry facility
3. The Assistant Laundry Master must have the ability to problem solve
any operational issues or guest related situations.
4. He/she must ensure the needs of the operation are met from a laundry
perspective, including but not limited to bed linens ad towels for
housekeeping, tablecloths and napkins for Food & Beverage and
uniform washing, ironing, and dry cleaning for all crew, staff and
5. Liaise with Laundry Master, Executive Housekeeper and Facilities
Manager to proactively maintain equipment as part of a preventative
maintenance program, while ensuring any necessary repairs are
completed in a timely manner.
6. Coordinates with all divisions to ensure proper sorting of the linen
before it gets to the laundry. Linen must be free of garbage and sorted
7. Assist Laundry Master in checking finished product at the end of each
cycle to ensure that the desired result is achieved.
8. Inspect dryers on a daily basis to ensure that they are free of lint and
that they are operating within the correct temperature range.
9. Coordinates with the Laundry Master to ensure daily inspections take
place to ensure that all equipment are operating at optimum capacity
and that water is at maximum temperature.
10. When assigned by the Laundry Master, submit a copy of daily
inspection report sheet to Executive Housekeeper and First Engineer.
11. Coordinate cleaning of Non Logo uniform between Linen keeper and
crewmember (there will be no charge if the item to be cleaned is
verified by the Laundry Manager as a bone fide uniform item).
12. All problem resolutions in the laundry must be directed to the Laundry
Master and then escalated to the Executive Housekeeper as
needed.Fully owns any guest concern in line with onboard problem
resolution guidelines to ensure maximum guest satisfaction.
13. Oversees the setting of formulas and cycles for types of linen and
types of soil.
14. Make sure all workers keep areas and equipment clean, sanitized and
15. Other duties may be assigned.
16. Understand and can apply in work practices environmental policies
and procedures concerning such functions as collection, sorting and
disposal of solid wastes and use of chemicals associated with
cleaning, dry cleaning and laundry operations.
17. Know and follow all SQM policies.
18. All shipboard employees must by physically able to participate in
emergency life saving procedures and drills. Full use/range of motion
of arm and legs as well as full visual, verbal and hearing abilities are
required to receive and give instructions in the event of an emergency
requiring the lowering of a life boat.
Minimum hiring, language and physical requirements to perform the job.
High school or equivalent. A minimum of two years of related experience and/or training in the laundry field; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Internal Candidate Requirements:
In addition to the stated hiring requirements, internal candidates are required to fulfill the following:
None at this time.
Ability to read and interpret English language documents such as safety rules,
operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear; and taste or smell. In the event of an emergency the employee may be required to sit, stoop, kneel or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.