The primary responsibility of the Linen Keeper is to control the storage, delivery and receiving of all linens and uniforms for all departments.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for the linen and uniform lockers.
- Work in close cooperation with Tailor, Asst. Linen Keeper/ Linen Keeper, and Laundry Master
- Check the condition of linens, towels and uniforms on a daily basis
- Log all damaged linen and towels.
- Submit log of worn out and linen and towels damaged by the laundry machines to Chief Housekeeper at the end of each cruise.
- Inventory the linen and uniform lockers whenever required by F&B Manager or Chief Housekeeper.
- Control the issuing of uniforms to the crew on the sign on days, using the provided uniform receipt control form.
- Maintain records of uniform receipts.
- Receive the uniforms from the disembarking crew, (except Officer’s uniforms) and in case of any missing uniforms, notify the Chief Housekeeper immediately.
- Advise the Chief Housekeeper informed of any problems regarding uniforms .
- Advise the Chief Housekeeper of shortages or damages.
- Deliver dirty uniforms to the Laundry and pick up clean ones on a daily basis.
- Work in conjunction with the Laundry Master.
- Notifies the Laundry Master of any problems regarding the washing and dry cleaning of uniforms.
- Prepare uniform, linen and towel orders for Chief Housekeeper.
- Ensure personal appearance, personal hygiene, and uniform are in accordance with company rules and regulations.
- Possess knowledge of United States Public Health Rules and Regulations pertaining to assigned area.
- Assure compliance with USPH Rules and Regulations.
- Inform supervisor promptly of all relevant matters.
Training & Development
- Attend all meetings, training activities or classes related to assigned position as required.
- Provide effective training to Assistant Linen keeper in conjunction with Chief Housekeeper.
- Ensure that all uniforms and linens are maintained.
- Ensure that all transactions are accurately recorded, so that inventories match.
- Ensure tasks are completed within assigned working hours.
- Ensure cost-effective operation of department.
- Minimize operating expenses without affecting product standards delivered to the guests.
- Conduct inventory checks when required.
- Be in possession of valid STCW certificate.
- Possess familiarity with the vessel layout in terms of safety and security.
- Have a full understanding of ship rules and regulations (SMS).
- Participate in all required safety drills/training.
- Ensure that all safety procedures are followed.
- Cooperate with the Staff Captain in adhering to the Ship’s Safety Program.
- Follow the Ship Rules & Regulations.
- Maintain a safe and sanitary environment for all guests and crew members.
- Follow proper procedures and instructions at all times to prevent damage of any kind to ship or company property.
- Participate in safety drills as required.
- Possess knowledge of operational manuals including SMS, VOM, USPH, and HKOM.
- Instructions/explanations provided by Chief Housekeeper and Asst. Housekeeper.
- Possess knowledge of the Human Resources Manual and Shipboard Training.
- Maintain a high level of crew morale within the administration dept. ensuring that all crew are treated i n a fair and unbiased manner and the team works with a positive atmosphere.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure confidentiality when handling sensitive information.
- Achieve the primary objectives of the position and comply with the above-mentioned accountabilities in a timely and efficient manner in accordance with SSSL policies.
- Project a favorable image of the company, promote its aims and objectives, and foster and enhance public recognition and acceptance of all its areas and endeavors.
- Comply with the safety and pollution prevention regulations and operating procedures at all times, participating in all relevant meetings and training sessions.
- Participate in all mandatory training without excuse.
- Perform all other duties as requested by shipboard management or shore side.
Knowledge, experience, skill, and/or ability
- Positive attitude and outgoing personality.
- Team player.
- Open minded and flexible.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Communicate effectively with the senior management.
- Possess ability to lead and make decisions.
- Good administrative skills.
- Experienced in coaching subordinates.
- Must be cost and quality conscious.
- Adhere to specific scheduled work hours, yet be flexible if circumstances require it.
- Work with international team members.
- Perform assigned duties under pressure (time constraints).
- Fluency in additional language(s)
- Cruise Ship Experience.
Required computer skills
- Knowledge of Microsoft programs to include but not limited to, Outlook, Word, Excel, and Power Point
- Possess sufficient computer knowledge to use the company software.
- Elementary and middle school education (8th grade) or higher.
- Minimum of 2 years related experience and/or training in the hospitality field, preferably inside the Linen Room.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of general office practices, procedures and equipment.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work independently.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and communication skills .
- Ability to interact with senior-level management and owner representatives.
- Able to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Work Environment & Physical Demands:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions for this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to: Stand; Use hands to finger, handle, or feel; Reach with hands and arms; Talk or hear and smell
- The employee must be able to lift or move up to 55 pounds (25 kilograms) without assistance.
- Ability to adjust focus, depth perception, peripheral vision, distance vision and close vision and to be able to otherwise perform the essential functions of the job in a manner that does not present danger to the employee or others with or without a reasonable accommodation.