The primary responsibility of the Night Supervisor is to ensure guest satisfaction by overseeing the nighttime operation within the Housekeeping department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure that areas are properly staffed, equipped and set up.
- Maintain stock in lockers.
- Control consumption and use of chemicals, etc.
- Ensure that the night team is well trained in all functions.
- Assign duties and supervise the Night team to ensure adherence to departmental procedures and company guidelines.
- Schedule periodic deep cleaning and shampooing of assigned areas when necessary.
- Conduct regular inspections in all areas, focusing on details and taking corrective action.
- Respond to passenger questions.
- Report any guest issues to the Housekeeper or Assistant Housekeeper.
- Assist the Housekeeper with individual performance evaluations and action plans.
- Communicate clearly with the Night team.
- Monitor and maintain adherence to policies regarding, but not limited to, cockroach traps, temperature logbook, three bucket system, chemical labeling, etc..
- Ensure all equipment in Housekeeping areas is in good working condition. Guarantee the safety of all crewmembers by providing: Tools in working conditions. Protective clothing and equipment. Training and guidance on how to effectively perform job responsibilities.
- Possess full knowledge of the cleaning products used in the Housekeeping Department.
- Possess full knowledge of the company Waste Management Policy.
- Ensure that subordinates are trained and familiar with the garbage separation procedure onboard.
- Possess knowledge of USPH Sanitation Standards, and Rules and Regulations.
Training & Development
- Attend all meetings, training activities or classes related to assigned position as required.
- Conduct training sessions with subordinates regarding various aspects of onboard responsibilities .
- Possess the skills and ability to coach and supervise subordinates .
- Training and guidance on how to use and keep the equipment.
- Must participate in all assigned trainings.
- Ensuring all equipment is well maintained.
- Minimize linen and terry linen damage by following company procedures for cleaning.
- Ensure tasks are completed within assigned working hours.
- Consult with Chief Housekeeper if overtime hours are required.
- Possess knowledge of the revenue aspects of the operation.
- Ensure cost-effective operation of department.
- Minimize operating expenses without affecting product standards delivered to the guests.
- Conduct inventory checks when required.
- Comply with the safety and pollution prevention regulations and operating procedure.
- Participate in all relevant meetings and training sessions.
- Ensure that HK Night Team is strictly following safety procedures.
- Participate in safety drills, according to instructions .
- Be in possession of valid STCW certificate.
- Possess familiarity with the vessel layout in terms of safety and security.
- Have a full understanding of ship rules and regulations (SMS).
- Participate in all required safety drills/training.
- Ensure that all safety procedures are followed.
- Cooperate with the Staff Captain in adhering to the Ship’s Safety Program.
- Follow the Ship Rules & Regulations.
- Maintain a safe and sanitary environment for all guests and crew members.
- Follow proper procedures and instructions at all times to prevent damage of any kind to ship or company property.
- Participate in safety drills as required.
- Possess knowledge of operational manuals including SMS, VOM, USPH, and HKOM.
- Instructions/explanations provided by Chief HK, Assistant CHK or Shipboard/ Shore side management.
- Possess knowledge of the Human Resources Manual and Shipboard Training.
- Maintain a high level of crew morale within the administration dept. ensuring that all crew are treated i n a fair and unbiased manner and the team works with a positive atmosphere.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure confidentiality when handling sensitive information.
- Achieve the primary objectives of the position and comply with the above-mentioned accountabilities in a timely and efficient manner in accordance with ICS policies.
- Project a favorable image of the company, promote its aims and objectives, and foster and enhance public recognition and acceptance of all its areas and endeavors.
- Comply with the safety and pollution prevention regulations and operating procedures at all times, participating in all relevant meetings and training sessions.
- Participate in all mandatory training without excuse.
- Perform all other duties as requested by shipboard management or shore side.
Knowledge, experience, skill, and/or ability
- Positive attitude and outgoing personality.
- Team player.
- Open minded and flexible.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Communicate effectively with the senior management.
- Possess ability to lead and make decisions.
- Good administrative skills.
- Experienced in coaching subordinates.
- Must be cost and quality conscious.
- Adhere to specific scheduled work hours, yet be flexible if circumstances require it.
- Work with international team members.
- Perform assigned duties under pressure (time constraints).
- Fluency in additional language(s)
- Cruise Ship Experience.
Required computer skills
- Knowledge of Microsoft programs to include but not limited to, Outlook, Word, Excel, and Power Point
- Possess sufficient computer knowledge to use the company software.
- High School education or international equivalent.
- Minimum of three years experience and/or training in the hospitality/room division.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of general office practices, procedures and equipment.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work independently.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and communication skills .
- Ability to interact with senior-level management and owner representatives.
- Able to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Work Environment & Physical Demands:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions for this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to: Stand; Use hands to finger, handle, or feel; Reach with hands and arms; Talk or hear and smell
- The employee must be able to lift or move up to 55 pounds (25 kilograms) without assistance.
- Ability to adjust focus, depth perception, peripheral vision, distance vision and close vision and to be able to otherwise perform the essential functions of the job in a manner that does not present danger to the employee or others with or without a reasonable accommodation.