The primary responsibility of the Officer Steward/Stewardess is to maintain the cleanliness of, and service to Officers/Staff cabins and staterooms in an assigned section; including corridors and passageways.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Clean and prepare officer and staff cabins daily, including embarkation day and/or when instructed by supervisor.
- Change bed linens according to schedule or as directed.
- Change towels as per services schedule.
- Bring Uniforms/ clothes for washing and collect the same for cabins with daily service. For the others, (nondaily service) does the same only on days when servicing the cabin.
- Assist with the collecting, offloading, and delivery of guest luggage to and from the suites and staterooms.
- Report any safety issues to the Chief Housekeeper.
- Report all defective equipment and fixtures.
- Follow up to ensure that the necessary repairs were carried out.
- Take officer and staff uniforms and/or personal clothing, to and from the laundry if requested.
- Clean and vacuum corridors, lockers and pantries daily.
- Carry out deep cleaning in accordance with schedules set by the Chief Housekeeper.
- Assist steward/stewardess in cleaning and preparing the Penthouse Suites on embarkation day.
- Possess knowledge of United States Public Health Rules and Regulations pertaining to assigned area.
- Assure compliance with USPH Rules and Regulations.
- Ensure that personal grooming, appearance, hygiene and uniform are in accordance with company policy .
- Inform supervisor of all relevant matters.
- Communicate effectively and clearly with supervisors and guests.
- Other duties may be assigned by Chief Housekeeper
Training & Development:
- Attend all meetings, training activities or classes related to assigned position as required.
- Ensure that all equipment is well maintained.
- Ensure tasks are completed within assigned working hours.
- Possess knowledge of the revenue aspects of the operation.
- Ensure cost-effective operation of department and be aware of Breakage prevention procedure.
- Minimize operating expenses without affecting product standards delivered to the guests.
- Conduct inventory checks when required.
- Be in possession of valid STCW certificates.
- Possess familiarity with the vessel layout in terms of safety and security.
- Have a full understanding of ship rules and regulations (SMS).
- Participate in all required safety drills/training.
- Ensure that all safety procedures are followed.
- Is adhering to the Ship’s Safety Program.
- Follow the Ship Rules & Regulations.
- Maintain a safe and sanitary environment for all guests and crew members.
- Follow proper procedures and instructions at all times to prevent damage of any kind to ship or company property.
- Possess knowledge of operational manuals including SMS, VOM, USPH, HKOM and Training Manual as given by Assistant Housekeeper and Chief Housekeeper.
- Instructions/explanations provided by Chief HK and, Assistant CHK.
- Possess knowledge of Shipboard Training.
- Maintain a high level of crew morale within the department ensuring that all crew are treated in a fair and unbiased manner and the team works with a positive atmosphere.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist with loading or provisions when required.
- Attend any stand-by for USPH purposes.
- Ensure confidentiality when handling sensitive information.
- Achieve the primary objectives of the position and comply with the above-mentioned accountabilities in a timely and efficient manner in accordance with ICS policies.
- Project a favorable image of the company, promote its aims and objectives, and foster and enhance public recognition and acceptance of all its areas and endeavors.
- Comply with the safety and pollution prevention regulations and operating procedures at all times, participating in all relevant meetings and training sessions.
- Participate in all mandatory training without excuse.
- Perform all other duties as requested by shipboard management or shore side.
Knowledge, experience, skill, and/or ability
- Positive attitude and outgoing personality.
- Team player.
- Open minded and flexible.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Communicate effectively with others.
- Good administrative skills.
- Must be cost and quality conscious.
- Adhere to specific scheduled work hours, yet be flexible if circumstances require it.
- Work with international team members.
- Perform assigned duties under pressure (time constraints).
- Fluency in additional language(s)
- Cruise Ship Experience.
Computer skills – optional:
- Knowledge of Microsoft programs
- Possess sufficient computer knowledge to use the company software.
- Elementary and middle school education (8th grade) or higher.
- Minimum of 2 years related experience and/or training in the hospitality field.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of general office practices, procedures and equipment.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work independently.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to interact with others
- Able to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Work Environment & Physical Demands:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions for this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to: Stand; Use hands to finger, handle, or feel; Reach with hands and arms; Talk or hear and smell
- The employee must be able to lift or move up to 55 pounds (25 kilograms) without assistance.
- Ability to adjust focus, depth perception, peripheral vision, distance vision and close vision and to be able to otherwise perform the essential functions of the job in a manner that does not present danger to the employee or others with or without a reasonable accommodation.