Sous Chef Pastry
The Sous Chef Pastry is the second in command in the Pastry Department, and his primary responsibility is to assist the Pastry Chef in effectively supervising and managing the onboard Pastry and Bakery Production.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure that Quality Standards and Procedures are in line with company Rules and Regulations.
- Ensure that pastry personnel is guided and trained to increase productivity.
- Manage the food production operation in all outlets for the Pastry and Bakery Department in a smooth and efficient manner.
- Responsible for the Pastry production for the Buffet area.
- Assist the Pastry Chef with any additional assignments.
- Ensure that menus, recipes, guidelines, and methods provided by the Corporate Pastry Chef are followed accordingly.
- Maintain and ensure that Public Health regulations (US, Anvisa, Shipsan, Canadian, Australian, etc.) are followed at all times on board.
- Supervise and check all pastry outlets (Buffet, Specialty Restaurant, Afternoon Teatime), ensuring that
- standards are followed accordingly.
- Produce and maintain the expected level of food quality in assigned area of responsibility.
- Analyze recipes constantly for any possible improvements.
- Assure on-going training, following set standards.
- Work closely with the Kitchen Steward to accomplish tasks related to inventory, equipment control and maintenance, Public Health Sanitation Rules and Regulations, and training and re-enforcement.
- Oversee the electronic requisitioning and ordering process to ensure the proper use of ingredients.
- Possess good guest-interaction skills and deal with feedback received.
- Supervise the stores frequently to monitor the Pastry items and highly perishable products.
- Ensure that the Pastry & Bakery Department are productive and operated with the least supervision required from the Executive and Senior Executive Chef.
- Provide Crew and Staff Mess with a selection of pastries and bakery goods for all meals.
- Ensure that recipe reviews are conducted, corrected if needed, and communicated to the Corporate Pastry Chef.
- Use Checklist daily to monitor production and preparation levels.
- Monitor working hours, maintain TAR and, if applicable, correct TAR entries for payroll purposes.
- Provide the necessary guidance/training and information to all Pastry & Bakery Staff to be fully productive,
- Maintain quality and consistency in taste, presentation and appearance according to recipes and pictures .
- Rectify discrepancies immediately.
- Communicate with the provision team on a daily basis to utilize highly perishable food items.
- Control and maintain all Pastry & Bakery equipment distributed to staff, ensuring that it is cleaned and/or sanitized and returned in an acceptable condition after each use.
- Monitor the cleaning, handling and storage of all Pastry & Bakery equipment.
- Justify, record, and report any damages and/or malfunctions.
- Ensure that all Pastry/Bakery Staff is adhering to company uniform and grooming policies: Hygiene, Grooming, Personal appearance, Uniform, Safety shoes, Dress code
- Assist the Executive Chef in preparing additional work schedules (Embarkation Day, Special Functions , etc.) for Pastry/Bakery Personnel.
- Ensure that the pastry/adjacent areas are ready for announced or unannounced inspection, performed by Ship Management or local authorities.
- Ensure that Bakery & Pastry Personnel transport their provisions with the correct utensils from the storeroom to their respective outlets.
- Countercheck daily deliveries from the Storeroom for accuracy
- Take the corrective action if deliveries are incorrect or not completed.
- Oversee the Dinner Service Line.
- Ensure a smooth and efficient dinner service, presentation and final plating.
- Supervise other activities such as afternoon tea, pool parties, cocktail parties, or special functions where the Pastry Department is involved.
- Ensure that the HACCP program is followed.
Training & Development
- Attend all meetings, training activities or classes related to assigned position as required.
- Mentor, develop and provide on-the-job training to subordinates to strengthen current performance and in preparation for future advancement.
- Ensure that all food crewmembers follow the rules and regulations of the ship.
- Monitor the training and familiarization of new food crewmembers to their new job and living environment.
- Develop and conduct training for personnel in their area of responsibility according to standard operating procedures.
- Ensure that recipe reviews are conducted, corrected if needed, and communicated to the Pastry Chef.
- Control food and general expenses related to the production in assigned area.
- Maintain guideline and budget set by the Corporate Office.
- Maintain cost control within department/team.
- Control food production to minimize/avoid waste.
- Control overtime and apply TAR procedures accordingly (work within the set budget perimeters).
- Ensure that all safety procedures are followed.
- Cooperate with the Staff Captain in adhering to the Ship’s Safety Program.
- Follow the Ship Rules & Regulations.
- Maintain a safe and sanitary environment for all guests and crew members.
- Follow proper procedures and instructions at all times to prevent damage of any kind to ship or company property.
- Participate in safety drills as required.
- Possess knowledge of the Human Resources Manual and Shipboard Training.
- Maintain a high level of crew morale within the administration dept. ensuring that all crew are treated i n a fair and unbiased manner and the team works with a positive atmosphere.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervise activities such as afternoon tea, pool parties, cocktail parties, and special functions when the Pastry Dept. is involved.
- Attend early stand-by for any inspection.
- Ensure confidentiality when handling sensitive information.
- Achieve the primary objectives of the position and comply with the above-mentioned accountabilities in a timely and efficient manner in accordance with SSSL policies.
- Project a favorable image of the company, promote its aims and objectives, and foster and enhance public recognition and acceptance of all its areas and endeavors.
- Comply with the safety and pollution prevention regulations and operating procedures at all times, participating in all relevant meetings and training sessions.
- Participate in all mandatory training without excuse.
- To efficiently perform all other duties as requested by shipboard management or shore side.
Knowledge, experience, skill, and/or ability
- 10 years of experience in the field of 5-star hotels, high-end restaurants, or cruise lines.
- Basic Bakery Skills.
- Advanced Pastry Skills.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Communicate effectively with the senior management.
- Possess ability to lead and make decisions.
- Good administrative skills.
- Experienced in coaching subordinates.
- Must be cost and quality conscious.
- Adhere to specific scheduled work hours, yet be flexible if circumstances require it.
- Work with international team members.
- Perform assigned duties under pressure (time constraints).
- Fluency in additional language(s)
- Cruise Ship Experience.
Required computer skills
- Knowledge of Microsoft programs to include but not limited to, Outlook, Word, Excel, and Power Point
- Possess sufficient computer knowledge to use the company software.
- Familiarly with relational database driven inventory control systems.
- High School education or international equivalent.
- 3-year apprenticeship for professional chefs or a Bachelor of Science degree in Pastry Culinary Arts.
- USPH or HACCP certification.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of general office practices, procedures and equipment.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work independently.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and communication skills .
- Ability to interact with senior-level management and owner representatives.
- Able to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Work Environment & Physical Demands:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions for this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to: Stand; Use hands to finger, handle, or feel; Reach with hands and arms; Talk or hear and smell
- The employee must be able to lift or move up to 55 pounds (25 kilograms) without assistance.
- Ability to adjust focus, depth perception, peripheral vision, distance vision and close vision and to be able to otherwise perform the essential functions of the job in a manner that does not present danger to the employee or others with or without a reasonable accommodation.