The Security Guard is responsible for the control of entry to the ship during Gangway Operations and thescreening process as described in the Security Manual in SQM.Actual times to be detailed by shipsroutines.The Security Guard will patrol the ship during the night time hours and implement the Master’s Rulesand Regulations.He/she is under the supervision of the Watch keeping Officer while acting as aResponse Guard or while on the ship’s safety rounds.The Chief Officer Safety and/or SecurityOfficer/Deputy Security Officer and Security Supervisor will be on call to assist him/her should anoccasion arise.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
All duties and responsibilities are to be performed in accordance with Royal Caribbean International’sThe Royal Way, SQM standards, USPH guidelines, environmental, and safety policies.Each shipboard employee may be required to perform all functions in various service venues andthroughout the ship.
1.In accordance with Royal Caribbean International’s philosophy ofAnchored in Excellence,eachemployee conducts oneself in a professional and courteous manner at all times.This consists ofphysical and verbal interactions with guests or fellow shipboard employeesand/or in the presence ofguest contact and crewareas.
2.He/She shall complete the familiarization form of Chapter 2 according to the established procedures.
3.The Security Guard shall have an understanding of the Safety and Quality Management Programincluding responsibilities related to the Emergency Plan and Station Bill. An excellent understandingof the Master’s Rules and Regulations and the Company’s Policy and a thorough knowledge of theSecurity manual are essential for this position.
4.The Security Guards working hours should be adjusted as appropriate to the ship’s routine.He/Sheshall monitor the day/night security and prepare a log of activities during the night time hours for presentation to the Security Officer.The Security Officer will produce a Night Report from this logfor presentation to prescribed ship’s management.
5.The Security Guard shall be familiar with all duties regarding the safety rounds and the gangwaysecurity. (See Security Manual for specific instructions.)
6.The Security Supervisor shall,through his/her observations,preserve the safety of the vessel,passengers, and the crew.
7.During Safety Rounds the Security Guard shall always be alert and follow the designated procedures.He/She may be the first person to arrive at the scene of an incident or a fire,and will have to assess asituation and act accordingly until help arrives.
8.The situation will dictate any action taken by the Security Guard.In the case of a fire alarm,theSecurity Guard will respond immediately to the location of the alarm.He/She will then beresponsible for making quick decisions based on previous instructions and experience.
9.The Security Guard shall immediately inform the Duty Officer on the Bridge and any otherconcerned Officer of any incident which has occurred.
10.The Security Guard shall always be alert to take emergency action with any situation.The SecurityGuard shall be familiar on the use and the location of all safety related equipment as outlined on thefamiliarization form of Chapter 2.
11.If an”Alpha Alpha Alpha”occurs,the Security Guard shall follow the established procedures asdescribed in the appendices.
12.The Security Guard is otherwise instructed to be an additional spotter around the vessel for any typeof problems,being passenger,crew or ship related.The Security Guard shall report immediately anyunusual incidents or situations.He/She shall also report if any abuse of ship’s property or abuse ofShipboard regulations takes place.
13.He/She shall be familiar with the procedures of solving passenger complaints.
14.Security Guards shall conduct frequent security inspections on the crew quarters during his/her dutyhours.
15.The Security Guards shall attends meetings,training activities,courses and all other work-relatedactivities as required Perform related duties as required.
16.This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed bythe shipboard employee occupying this position.Shipboard employees will be required to performany other job-related duties assigned by their supervisor or management.
Minimum hiring,language and physical requirements to perform the job.
- Candidates are required to have four (4)years experience in at least one of the following areas;Army/Maritime/Aviation/Police or Hotel Security environment.The Security Guard should haveexperience in physical security with special emphasis on access control,security screening methods,security screening equipment operation and training ability(x-ray,metal detector,explosives/narcotics detection).
- The Security Guard must have the ability to operate in a multinational environment.
- Organizational skills combined with literacy and basic knowledge of computers is preferred for thisposition.
- He will hold the STCW95required Basic Safety Training.They will be thoroughly versed in,andfamiliar with,the operation and handling of all related security screening and emergency equipment.
- He should have prior knowledge of the ISPS code.
Internal Candidate Requirements:
In addition to the stated hiring requirements,internal candidates arerequired to fulfill the following:
- Completion of one contract with a performance rating of satisfactoryor above.
- Ability to speak English clearly, distinctly and cordially with guests.
- Ability to read and write English in order to understand and interpret written procedures.Thisincludes the ability to give and receive instructions in written and verbal forms and to effectivelypresent information and respond to questions from guests, supervisors and co-workers.
- Ability to speak additional languages such as Spanish,French,Italian,Portuguese,German or anyother language is preferred.
- While performing the duties of this job,the shipboard employee is regularly required to stand;walk;use hands to touch,handle,or feel;reach with hands and arms;talk or hear;and taste or smell.Theemployee must occasionally/frequently/continually lift and/or move up to50pounds.Specific visionabilities required by this job include close vision,distance vision,color vision,peripheral vision,depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- All shipboard employees must be physically able to participate in emergency life saving proceduresand drills.Full use and range of arms and legs as well as full visual,verbal and hearing abilities arerequired to receive and give instructions in the event of an emergency including the lowering oflifeboats. Ability to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.