The primary responsibility of the Head Bartender is to ensure guest satisfaction by delivering quality beverage service that consistently and effectively reflects the luxurious nature of the company.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maximize departmental resources to maintain an efficient operation and achieve financial targets.
- Monitor guest satisfaction measured by Guest comment cards.
- Provide quality and luxurious service to the guests.
- Ensure that all bars and beverage areas are properly staffed, stocked, set up and open as scheduled.
- Supervise and walk through all the outlets throughout the day until closure time.
- Check opening and closing of the bar venues.
- Ensure the par level of the beverages and other beverage supplies and equipment is maintained.
- Provide support for the wine service team in the restaurants during service.
- Participate in the bar service at peaks times: Assist the bartenders by going behind the bar; Assist bar waiter by serving tables; Help pick up the dirty glasses; Clean tables.
- Ensuring all required welcome and promotional set ups are ready for embarkation.
- Monitor guest flow in public areas to ensure beverage services are available for all guests.
- Ensure that the beverage team is well trained to ensure good stock control and accurate charging to accounts.
- Monitor the company alcohol policy and guide the staff accordingly.
- Communicate effectively to ensure that the bar team reflects the high standards of professionalism within the company.
- Ensure that the Bar team is aware of all events and activities on the ship.
- Train, supervise and apply corrective action regarding Public Health programs within the department.
- Ensure the logging of all fridge, freezer and dishwasher temperatures in beverage venues.
- Ensure the maintenance of all equipment in all beverage service areas.
- Liaise with the HOD and the rest of the department to establish and maintain predetermined profit objectives without jeopardizing the standards of quality of beverages, service, and cleanliness.
- Motivate the team to up sell and generate revenue.
- Provide ideas to maximize beverage revenues and minimize costs.
- Review current operating procedures for revenue enhancement opportunities for all bars on board the ship.
- Assist in the control of in-use stock inventory in all beverage outlets.
- Ensure accurate charging to accounts.
- Inform the HOD regarding personnel issues.
- Keep supervisor fully informed of all relevant matters.
- Observe and enforce grooming and uniform standards according to company policies and procedures.
- Produce daily closing reports, Micros financial reports and operational daily activity reports.
- Perform any tastings or presentations related to the bar operation.
- Ensure that bar service is available during scheduled morning events within the Horizons or the RO/NO/I O lounge.
- Release one Bar Waiter within sufficient time to provide bar service required while these locations are closed.
- Ensure that the Bar Waiter promotes beverage sales and delivers iced water to those requesting it.
- Report closure times of all outlets and any issues that need resolution to the Direct HODs or division managers.
- Ensures that the bar has a copy of the daily Currents.
- Possess full knowledge of current U.S.P.H rules and regulations and maintain U.S.P.H standards at all times.
- Ensure that the assigned location is up to U.S.P.H. standards.
Training & Development:
- Attend all meetings, training activities or classes related to assigned position as required.
- Mentor, develop and provide on-the-job training to subordinates to strengthen current performance and in preparation for future advancement.
- Train and develop professional bar staff.
- Conduct bar team evaluations.
- Review and respond to any bar team/HR related issues with the ECM (O-class) and Food & Beverage Director/Assistant F&B (R-class/RSSC).
- Ensure that all crewmembers under his/her direction follow the Ships’ Rules and regulations and are subject to a complete training and familiarization to their new job and living environment.
- Ensure that all scheduled/necessary performance evaluations are completed to company standards.
- Conduct training with bar staff and ensure to follow with “beverage training program” from the beverage operation manual.
- Achieve departmental financial targets (revenue, costs).
- Possess awareness of targets, costs and monitoring procedures.
- Review financial transactions and monitor budget to ensure expenditures stay within budget
- Enforce breakage prevention procedures.
- Possess knowledge of the revenue aspects of the operation.
- Ensure cost-effective operation of department.
- Minimize operating expenses without affecting product standards delivered to the guests.
- Conduct inventory checks when required.
- Comply with the safety and pollution prevention regulations and operating procedures.
- Be in procession of valid STCW certificates.
- Possess familiarity with the vessel layout in terms of safety and security.
- Have a full understanding of ship rules and regulations (SMS).
- Ensure that all safety procedures are followed.
- Cooperate with the Staff Captain in adhering to the Ship’s Safety Program.
- Follow the Ship Rules & Regulations.
- Maintain a safe and sanitary environment for all guests and crew members.
- Follow proper procedures and instructions at all times to prevent damage of any kind to ship or company property.
- Participate in safety drills as required.
- Operating Manuals/SMS.
- Possess knowledge of the Human Resources Manual and Shipboard Training.
- Maintain a high level of crew morale within the administration dept. ensuring that all crew are treated in a fair and unbiased manner and the team works with a positive atmosphere.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist with loading or provisions whenever required and as directed.
- Liaise with the HOD regarding the ordering of beverages, consumables and durables for the Bar Department.
- Assist with off-loading of luggage if requested.
- Attend any stand-by for USPH purposes.
- Ensure confidentiality when handling sensitive information.
- Achieve the primary objectives of the position and comply with the above-mentioned accountabilities in a timely and efficient manner in accordance with ICS policies.
- Project a favorable image of the company, promote its aims and objectives, and foster and enhance public recognition and acceptance of all its areas and endeavors.
- Comply with the safety and pollution prevention regulations and operating procedures at all times, participating in all relevant meetings and training sessions.
- Participate in all mandatory training without excuse.
- Perform all other duties as requested by shipboard management or shore side.
Knowledge, experience, skill, and/or ability
- Proven leadership and communication skills.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Communicate effectively with the senior management.
- Possess ability to lead and make decisions.
- Good administrative skills.
- Experienced in coaching subordinates.
- Must be cost and quality conscious.
- Adhere to specific scheduled work hours, yet be flexible if circumstances require it.
- Work with international team members.
- Perform assigned duties under pressure (time constraints).
- Experience and/or training in the hospitality field.
- Fluency in additional language(s)
- Cruise Ship Experience.
Required computer skills:
- Knowledge of Microsoft programs to include but not limited to, Outlook, Word, Excel, and Power Point
- Possess sufficient computer knowledge to use the company software.
- Familiar with relational database driven inventory control systems.
- Familiar with company proprietary and internal computer system, such as ICS, ABS, Micros and TAR.
- Elementary and middle school (8th grade) education or higher.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in an upscale/luxury beverage service environment
- Equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of general office practices, procedures and equipment.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work independently.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to interact with senior-level management and owner representatives.
- Able to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Work Environment & Physical Demands:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions for this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to: Stand; Use hands to finger, handle, or feel; Reach with hands and arms; Talk or hear and smell
- The employee must be able to lift or move up to 55 pounds (25 kilograms) without assistance.
- Ability to adjust focus, depth perception, peripheral vision, distance vision and close vision and to be able to otherwise perform the essential functions of the job in a manner that does not present danger to the employee or others with or without a reasonable accommodation.