Utility Hotel Junior
The primary responsibility of the Utility Hotel Junior is to ensure guest satisfaction by providing the highest standard of cleanliness in public areas.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Clean public bathrooms, elevators, offices and assigned crew area.
- Polish brass and other metals.
- Clean carpets, upholstery, floors, walls, ceilings, draperies, windows, and room accessories to remove effects of water, dirt, soot, stains, mildew and moisture.
- Spray or fog carpets, upholstery, and accessories with fabric conditioners, protectors, deodorizers and disinfectants.
- Dust furniture.
- Wash walls, ceiling and wood work.
- Wash windows and door panels.
- Empty wastebaskets, and empty and cleans ashtrays.
- Transport trash and waste to the disposal area.
- Picks up used glasses, china, and cutlery left in public areas by guests.
- Deliver the utensils to designated area for cleaning and washing.
- Notify management regarding needed repairs or corrections to lighting, heating and ventilating equipment.
- Handle and maintain all equipment necessary to complete job.
- Maintain a safe and sanitary environment for guests and fellow employees.
- Answer questions about ship schedules, travel routes and ship services when asked by guests.
- Display courtesy when in contact with a guest.
- Knows how to care for plants and flowers as per instruction of Chief Housekeeper and Assistant Housekeeper
- Assist with the handing of guest luggage on embarkation and disembarkation days.
- Ensure personal appearance, personal hygiene and uniform are in accordance with company rules and regulations.
- Possess knowledge of United States Public Health Rules and Regulations pertaining to assigned area.
- Assure compliance with USPH Rules and Regulations.
- Inform supervisor promptly of all relevant matters.
Training & Development:
- Attend all meetings, training activities or classes related to assigned position as required.
- Ensure that all equipment, chemicals and linens are maintained.
- Ensure tasks are completed within assigned working hours.
- Minimize operating expenses without affecting product standards delivered to the guests.
- Be in possession of valid STCW certificates.
- Possess familiarity with the vessel layout in terms of safety and security.
- Have a full understanding of ship rules and regulations (SMS).
- Participate in all required safety drills/training.
- Ensure that all safety procedures are followed.
- Is adhering to the Ship’s Safety Program.
- Follow the Ship Rules & Regulations.
- Maintain a safe and sanitary environment for all guests and crew members.
- Follow proper procedures and instructions at all times to prevent damage of any kind to ship or company property.
- Possess knowledge of operational manuals as per trainings received
- Instructions/explanations provided by Chief Housekeeper, Asst. Housekeeper and Night Supervisor.
- Possess relevant Shipboard Training.
- Maintain a high level of crew morale within the administration dept. ensuring that all crew are treated in a fair and unbiased manner and the team works with a positive atmosphere.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure confidentiality when handling sensitive information.
- Achieve the primary objectives of the position and comply with the above-mentioned accountabilities in a timely and efficient manner in accordance with ICS policies.
- Project a favorable image of the company, promote its aims and objectives and foster and enhance public recognition and acceptance of all its areas and endeavors.
- Comply with the safety and pollution prevention regulations and operating procedures at all times, participating in all relevant meetings and training sessions.
- Participate in all mandatory training without excuse.
- Perform all other duties as requested by shipboard management or shore side.
Knowledge, experience, skill, and/or ability
- Positive attitude and outgoing personality.
- Team player.
- Open minded and flexible.
- Communicate effectively and clearly with guests.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Communicate effectively with others
- Must be cost and quality conscious.
- Adhere to specific scheduled work hours, yet be flexible if circumstances require it.
- Work with international team members.
- Aware of Brakage Prevention Procedures
- Perform assigned duties under pressure (time constraints).
Computer skills – optional:
- Knowledge of Microsoft programs
- Possess sufficient computer knowledge to use the company software.
- Elementary and middle school education (8th grade) or higher.
- Minimum of 2 years related experience and/or training in the hospitality field.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of general office practices, procedures and equipment.
- Ability to interact with others
- Able to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Work Environment & Physical Demands:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions for this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to: Stand; Use hands to finger, handle, or feel; Reach with hands and arms; Talk or hear and smell
- The employee must be able to lift or move up to 55 pounds (25 kilograms) without assistance.
- Ability to adjust focus, depth perception, peripheral vision, distance vision and close vision and to be able to otherwise perform the essential functions of the job in a manner that does not present danger to the employee or others with or without a reasonable accommodation.